My daughter sent me this recipe, she tried it first and was so happy with it, and the cold fall nights were the perfect time to try it.
I admit, I had to do a little shopping because there were a few things that I don’t regularly keep on hand, but it was worth a run to the store! It think it took about 30 minutes start to finish, to pull together, so that adds up to a great weeknight meal as well.
- 18 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
- Salt & pepper
- 2 T vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 T fish sauce
- 2 t sugar
- 6 oz cremini mushrooms (can sub white mushrooms) trimmed and thinly sliced
- 6 oz snow peas, strings removed and cut in half
- 2 t Thai Red Curry Paste
- 2 T lime juice
- 1/4-1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- Pat chicken dry, season with salty& pepper. Heat oil in large sauce pan until just smoking. Brown chicken lightly, 2-3 minutes per side and transfer to a plate and cover.
- Ad shallot to pan and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in broth, coconut milk, 2 teaspoons of fish sauce, and sugar. Scrape up any browned bits.
- Add browned chicken and any juices that have accumulated, bring to a simmer about 10 minutes. Flip chicken halfway through. Remove chicken to a cutting board, cool slightly and shred.
- Return soup to a simmer, stir in mushrooms & snow peas, cooking until tender, about three minutes. Whisk lime juice, curry paste and remaining fish sauce together in a small bowl. Remove soup from heat and stir in lime/curry mixture and shredded chicken. Let sit for about 2 minutes while chicken heats through. Taste for seasoning, add salt/pepper as needed.
- Garnish individual portions with a healthy sprinkle of fresh cilantro and enjoy!