This is such a staple, along side a fresh green salad, it makes a wonderful lunch anytime of year. Enjoy it all with a favorite glass of white wine as a mid-day meal on the weekend, or with a creamy cappuccino for brunch!
• 1 (9-inch) frozen ready-to-bake pie crust (MUST be deep dish)
• 1 tablespoon butter
• 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic
• 4 large eggs
• 1 cup half-and-half
• 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning or herbs de Provence
• Fine sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
• 1 and 1/2 cups diced/cubed cooked ham (leftover holiday ham or store-bought)
• 1 cup swiss cheese, freshly grated (I used gruyere.)
• 1 cup cheddar cheese, freshly grated
• Optional garnish: chopped chives
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place unwrapped frozen pie crust on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove and allow to cool slightly.
2. Add the butter to a nonstick pan and melt over medium-high heat. Add in the diced onion and cook 3-5 minutes or until soft and translucent. Add in the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove, set aside, and allow to cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until lightly beaten. Then whisk in the half-and-half, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Gently stir in the cubed ham and both cheeses. Stir in the cooked onion and garlic.
5. Pour filling into the pre-baked pie crust (still on the baking sheet) and bake on the lower oven rack for 35 to 42 minutes, or until set (it might be a little jiggly in the middle)