A friend posted this recipe on Facebook, and I just happened to be long some early Michigan apples, and everything else, so I gave it a try. This turned out to be fairly easy and quick, though it turned out a bit sweet for my taste. It’s moist and dense, with a good amount of cinnamon.
Ingredients & Directions
Brown Sugar/Cinnamon Mixture:
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs room temp
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk or almond milk room temp
Chopped Apple Mixture
- 2 large apples any kind, peeled and chopped small, but not fine. Then toss apples with 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon just before adding it to the cake mixture.
Old-Fashioned Creme Glaze
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- 1-3 tablespoons of milk or cream-depending on thickness of glaze wanted. For more apple fritter style, like an apple fritter donut- use more milk for a thinner glaze that you can pour over the whole loaf.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Use a 9×5-inch loaf pan and spray with non-stick spray or line with foil and spray with non-stick spray to get out easily for slicing.
- Mix 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine & whisk 1 & 1/2 cups flour and 1 & 3/4 teaspoons baking powder together in another bowl and set aside.
- In another medium-sized bowl, beat 2/3 cup granulated sugar and 1/2 cup softened butter together using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in 2 eggs, one at a time until blended in; add in 1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract and mix in.
- Add the flour mixture into creamed butter mixture and mix until blended.
- Mix 1/2 cup milk into batter and continue mixing until smooth.
- Pour half the batter into the prepared loaf pan; add half the chopped apple mixture with the sugar and cinnamon added in.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture you set aside earlier, on top of apple layer.
- Pour the remaining batter over apple layer and top with remaining chopped apples, then the remaining brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.
- Lightly pat apples into batter; swirl brown sugar mixture through apples using knife or spoon.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean, approximately 60 minutes.
- To make glaze, mix 1/2 cup powdered sugar and 1 to 3 tablespoons milk or cream together until well mixed. (Place mixture in microwave for 10 seconds to get it pourable if it needs a boost.)
- Let loaf rest in pan for about 15 minutes before removing from pan to let cool off completely on a cooling rack. Drizzle with glaze.
- If you want more glaze, make a double batch.
The recipe credit goes to Tasty Recipes https://recipesfiber.com/awesome-country-apple-fritter-bread