Kirsch means cherry in German, so it natural that we Kirsches gravitate towards these sweet treats. These were the perfect project today, I’m surrounded by fresh cherries everywhere I go up here in Michigan! The stores are full of them, farmstands are bursting with fruit from local orchards, and little stands with honor boxes dot the roads. I came across this recipe from @averiesunshine and her blog averiecooks.com, then one of my daughters messaged it to me with a “must do” tag. Great minds think alike, so here we go.
These were so easy to make, basically blondies with chocolate chips and fresh cherries folded in. They came together in minutes and made the house smell wonderful. I baked them a bit longer than recommended, as I used a lot of fruit and they were very juicy, just watch for a lovely golden color and the center to set.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted (1 stick)
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- 3/4 to 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup cherries, fresh or frozen (you could use other berries, or stone fruits, too.)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a square baking pan with aluminum foil, spray with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter, about 30-60 seconds, depending on your microwave.
- To the melted butter, add the brown sugar and stir to combine.
- Add the egg, vanilla, and stir to combine. Add the flour, salt, and stir until just combined, taking care not to over mix or the blondies will be tough.
- Fold in chocolate chips and fruit (I halved the cherries, as they were really big), and scoop batter into prepared pan, smoothing it lightly with a spatula.
- Bake for 27 to 32 minutes, or until edges begin to slightly pull away from sides of pan and center is set. Baking time may vary depending on moisture content of fruit. (My batch went 36 minutes.)
- Allow bars to cool before slicing and serving. Blondies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Enjoy these wonderful treats and check out the full recipe and blog at https://www.averiecooks.com/chocolate-chip-and-cherry-blondies/ she has loads of great recipes!