With a haul of fresh apricots from a local farm stand, I set about finding ways to use them and enjoy the fresh sweet-tart flavor. Today, I settled on an Apricot Almond Cake, the bonus was that I had everything I needed already on hand. I used a recipe, as a base, I found from food52.com, and cut it down to a smaller square pan.
This was the original: https://food52.com/recipes/77272-apricot-almond-cake if you would like to check it out
An additional bonus of this cake, was that it works for loads of different fruits; cherries, peaches, or even pears. It isn’t too sweet so besides a light dessert, I think it will shine as a breakfast cake with my morning coffee.
- 1/2 C unsalted butter, melted
- 6 egg whites
- 1 C confectioners sugar
- 1 C all purpose flour
- 2 C Almond Flour
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- 2/3 tsp baking powder
- 3-4 fresh apricots, halved & pitted
- 2 T granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a 9×9 square pan with parchment, grease parchment and sides
- Beat egg whites until foamy
- Add confectioners sugar to the egg whites and beat an additional minute
- Add flour, almond flour, baking powder, melted butter, and salt, folding gently
- Pour batter into pan and place apricot halves, cut side up in the batter.
- Sprinkle granulated sugar across top
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Serve with vanilla whipped cream or enjoy as a breakfast treat!
NOTE: As a post coffee update, I would suggest more apricots! They were so tender and gave great flavor, I would definitely double them next time! Also, since the fruit sank deeply into the cake, I would suggest placing the halves on top of the batter and not pressing them into it, then you might have a prettier line across the top surface. ENJOY🍑